Thursday, June 25, 2009

La Cense burger truck debuts in midtown.

It's no secret that New York is a city full of unique food trucks and carts, many of which I frequent for lunch when I'm in midtown. Finding myself bugged by the craving for street food today, I hit up the LCBBurger Truck, Midtown's newest contender.

I headed over around 2 to wait in line. The truck was parked at 48th and Park, but I smelled the grease in the air as I closed in on the Waldorf Hotel. The line was 14 deep in front of me and was moving slowly due to first day issues Guy #1 stopped to cut onions while I waited to be served while guy #2 was lining up burgers left and right. Give them a few weeks to get their flow; I can't imagine how backed up the line is from twelve to two.

Using only La Cense beef, the menu is limited and straightforward. Six ounce, all natural and grass fed Montana raised burgers are $7, cheeseburgers are $7.50, and pickles are $0.50. Throw in chips ($0.50) and bottled water ($1) and you get the complete package. Due to space and time limitations the burgers are cooked to medium; no special requests at this time. All burgers come with grilled onions for free which was a nice perk.

Because the burgers are all beef and not fat filled like the typical street vendor, my cheeseburger with onions was more filling than I expected. Flavor, char, and texture were all spot on. My biggest complaint was the slow moving line. Come on guys, you're making burgers and nothing but. They're lined up, hot off the grill for the taking. Get those orders out!

I can't see myself waiting in line (25 minutes today) for a heavy meal like this on a regular basis, but for the occasional slow day requiring a long lunch this isn't a bad option.

Follow the truck's location on Twitter.


This picture brought to you by JP Morgan's plaza wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment