Monday, July 27, 2009

I think we have different definitions for "best."

I passed my time on the way to work this morning by reading last week's NY Mag covering Cheap Eats across the city. Of particular interest was the thorough section devoted to pizza. Artichoke and Nino's - take a back seat. This is legit.

A handful of East Village locales were listed among the mag's top 20 list of pies "of the moment." Boom - dinner was decided. First Avenue's Veloce Pizzeria was close and convenient, but more importantly they had individual slices available. I went with two slices of margherita sicilian as sicilian is their trademark.



Pro's
Not too doughy (silician's downfall)
Fresh basil flavor in every bite
Decent crust

Con's
Soggy dough base
Greasy
$3 a square

The flavoring of the slices was excellent, and the cheese/sauce/dough/basil ratios were all pretty spot on. The pizza was surprisingly greasy, which I found to be a minor drawback as well. I'd recommend going here to dine in, ordering something like prosciutto di parma that the couple at the bar were enjoying while I waited for my order. Their wine selection is "meh" priced, considering after all that they're a pizza spot. Stick with a coke or beer. Hipsters take note that PBR pounders are served iced cold.

Probability of returning - yes, if it is someone else's choice.

I'll be hitting up more of the noted pizza joints establishments in the coming days. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment