Monday, November 16, 2009

Manhattan's blank canvas.

It's probably quite obvious that I use a point and shoot camera on a daily basis. Most of the time I'm satisfied with its discreetness when it comes to stalker shots. And sometimes I land pictures that I'm proud of. Tonight was one of them.



Milk crates are used for more than just dairy products. Sure there are elementary uses like moving products, storing widgets, or moving from apartment to apartment. They also make killer seats for subway musicians. Or a newsstand for the afternoon paper boy selling the Times for half price.

I noticed this one sitting unmanned outside of my office tonight, the building's exterior lighting putting it on a proverbial stage. Where was owner? Why was this here? I couldn't help but wonder what kind of stories the banged up crate could tell. Tourists scurried by on their way back from Rockefeller Center, and businesspeople didn't notice it as they raced for the 6 train. And yet I crouched down, snapped a few photos, and landed this shot. The crate will be gone tomorrow, off to another job, supporting another performance. One more story to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment