Thursday, December 3, 2009

Ignore the crowds, soak in the rest.

Despite the cold weather I've been lengthening my trip home after work by a decent amount. The quickest way to travel is down the 6 to Union Square with a transfer to the L. The combined time I spend outside during this route (office to subway and subway to home) is no more than 200 yards. That is nothing when it comes to what my walk used to be before I moved, not to mention what the typical commuter probably does. But a number of reasons have diverted me off of this trek.

For one, I'm craving time outside. The biting cold isn't here yet but it's still too cold to sit outside during lunch. Throw in some Christmas shopping and tourist oogling, and I have myself a reason to hike to Rockefeller Center. F/V downtown to 14th Street, connect to the L, and homeward bound. The suicidal issue problem with this walk is that the area is that I must navigate through the Perfect Storm of holiday crowds.

Rockefeller Center - tree, shops, ice skating
Fifth Avenue shopping - three wide, slow moving groups
Radio City Music Hall - miles of dancing legs and the crowds they attract

But through all of it, I don't mind. I absorb the holiday cheer in the air. Breathe in the nut cart. I can unwind after what has been a very long busy season. The therapeutic walk does the body good.



This is a shot looking up 6th Ave towards Rockefeller Center. The holiday balls were hanging off of a hot dog cart.

No comments:

Post a Comment