Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The MTA looks good in Art Deco dress.

One arm or not, it was back to work for this guy today. I'm still not able to tie my shoes or put on a shirt on my own yet. Yep, breaking one's collarbone reverts you back to the age of two and a half.

Maybe it was because of my snail mail pace, but as I walked to work today I noticed something refreshing about the corner of 51st and Lexington. The downtown 6 train's southwest entrance is styled to match the art deco building next to it. Art deco you say? It's the RCA-turned-GE-turned-gift-to-Columbia-University building. Find a history lesson here. Boom, you've been schooled.

Here's what I'm talking about.

Current Subway entrance signage:



Fancy schmancy signage:



I can't begin to count how many times I've walked past this corner with my head down and ipod cranked.

No comments:

Post a Comment