Thursday, January 7, 2010

Entitled.

I met a friend for lunch yesterday, recounting the previous 48 hours of my recent (f)unemployment.

What'd you do yesterday?
Meh. Threw together my first resume in five years.
You didn't steal one from someone you met on campus?
Really?

Shoulder shrug. Why not? You've seen thousands of them.
I'm not stealing the creative brainpower of a 20 year old accountant-to-be.
How'd yours come out?
Like it was made by the 20 year old's pre-teen brother.


We sat in silence for maybe 30 seconds, my friend realizing the complexity of my current situation. We took in timely sips of our respective beers; mine Magic Hat #9, his Sam Adams. The cold mugs made the burgers and conversation in front of us easier to swallow.

You don't have to get right back into things, you know.
I know, I know. I knew. I think I knew, at least.
You're entitled to some "me" time. You're sitting here checking your phone like you still have partners to tend to and conference calls to deliver on.
Well there is the job interview I have on Friday that I'm waiting...
Take a day. Take an hour. Take a timeout. Do something tomorrow that you haven't done in a long time. Get out of your apartment, away from the internet, and be selfish for an afternoon.

I was selfish today.

I walked around the Union Square, East Village area. It was my home for three years. I know it well. Like an old friend.


100 Faces - hand drawn in Union Square by Felix


Sketching a mural on the wall of Ross Charter School.





Sun sets on Union Square.

No comments:

Post a Comment