Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Stumbled in.

I was bumbling around the LES and SoHo today, killing time in that stretch that takes place between being awake until calling it a night. I was bored, okay? It happens from time to time. Lucky for me, (f)unemployment was looking out for me.

As I meandered to the uptown 6 on Spring Street, I came across something rather curious. At the corner of Centre and Kenmare streets was - at least from first glance - an open door to an otherwise bare corner building. I couldn't decide if the door was left open, slightly ajar, on purpose or by some inconsiderate storefront employee. I was blind to the block lettering adorning the outside of the building explaining everything.

I quickly learned that the commercial space is dedicated to Storefront for Art & Architecture, a nonprofit started in 1982 that is "committed to the advancement of innovative positions in architecture, art and design." Click here for more worthwhile information.

To my enjoyment, the current exhibition was open for another hour or so, and I threw myself into one of the antique rows of stadium seating and caught a short film, Xmas Meier (trailer), in its entirety.

Here it was, smack dab in the middle of a blistery January afternoon. I was in such a place (physically, mentally, what have you) that I slid my phone into silent for 22 minutes and enjoyed a short documentary on a modern Italian church, the parishioners of which felt forever indebted to the Jewish architect that created their home for worship.

I decided not to stay for one of the remaining three documentaries, hoping to give myself reasons to return to Kenmare. Check this out if you're ever in the area as the exhibitions change frequently.

Uptown 6, Union Square transfer, home sweet China home.

No comments:

Post a Comment