Saturday, January 9, 2010

The way Saturday should be.

Granted it wasn't the normal weekly New York hustle that I've been used to, but it was nice to have the week be over and done with. Weekends can be busy or not. Hungover or healthy. Frugal or rock star expensive.

To say weekend options are limitless is cliche but accurate. Guests come and go. Drunk brunch possibilities. Quiet nights in. But on occasion Saturdays work out to be a satisfying ratio of productivity, conversation, and belly aching laughs. Boom. Jackpot.

My day started with lunch at Le Pain Quotidien. A wonderful spot just south of Union Square, it was a welcomed escape from the craze outside. The smell of good coffee and homemade bread punched my senses square on their ass. Communal tables dominated the floor. No one seemed rushed. Tourists were nowhere to be found.


I found my old friend sitting peacefully in the back, enjoying tea and a book (not from Strand, waaah). She the curry chicken; me the organic porridge. Strong coffee. BREAD. (Thank you, Le Pain, for fulfilling my self titled bread-head craving). But beyond the warm eats and friendly staff, the feeling of calm that the cafe exuded might be its defining characteristic. No one is rushed; come and go as you please. The way Saturdays should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment