Sunday, February 14, 2010

One request New Yorkers mysteriously follow.

Unwritten rules are everywhere. Yapping on the cellphone while riding the bus; working 9 to whenever-you're-done; chew with your mouth closed (PLEASE). Too many rules, official or otherwise. And New Yorkers don't feel bad about ignoring some when they deem appropriate. A few of my faves:

"Stand clear of the closing doors." What is THAT? Why even waste your time saying it? Hell, I stand IN the doors every chance I get. Why? Because I want to be the first one bolting out when the train hits the station. Why? Because I don't want to get stuck behind slow Charlie. Why? Have you SEEN the stairwells at Union Square? They make the spiral staircase in the belly of the Statue of Liberty feel like a dance floor.

Walk/Don't Walk
- Even when the signs are working, no one pays attention to these. If there is a Frogger-like opening between the bread delivery truck and the Town Car, you can bet the farm that I'm taking it.

And then there's this one:


No please. No or else. Simple, straightforward, and mysteriously effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment