Monday, March 16, 2009

Trekking to (and surviving) Staten Island.

Gasp.

This was the sound unanimously exhaled by my colleagues when they learned I was meeting my father for dinner in Staten Island (he was there for work). Braving the elements (and I'm not talking weather here, people) I hopped the 4 train to Bowling Green and marched my second-guessing-but-open-to-new-things rear end to the Staten Island ferry terminal.

Those of you wanting to see The Statue of Liberty up close, listen up. The ferry is 100% free and provides excellent views of the city's skyline, downtown bridges, and Miss Liberty herself. Note that I will not be using the word "excellent" to describe anything else about the area that is infamously known for its oxymoron-like dump, Fresh Kills. Soon to be a park, yayyyyy!

The 30 minute port-to-port ride was genuinely enjoyable and fairly relaxing. All riders, both commuters and tourists, must exit the boat when it docks and re-board another one for the return trip. I'm sorry Manhattanites, this does not count towards your "I've been to every borough" tally. But don't fret, there's plenty to do there. Staten Island is a thriving residential community, home to many great wonders of the world like Phil's competition, gypsy cabs (seriously), and this girl.

Okay, back to the evening. Dad and I had a great meal at Da Noi, a delicious Italian restaurant on Fingerboard Ave. Attentive service, deep sauces, and reasonably priced. I'd make a return trip.

The picture of the day is from my return trip. It's a bit shaky and grainy since I didn't have a tripod, but you get the idea. I don't care where you live - you can't admit that there is and always will be something missing from this shot.


No comments:

Post a Comment