Thursday, April 16, 2009

A day of sunny firsts in Binghamton, New York.

Unless you were living under a rock (or your work) for the past month, Binghamton New York has recently been in the news for the wrong reason. Had it not be for work, I would be in the same position as those of you who previously did not know where Binghamton was. A simple 3.5 hour highway drive from the city, Binghamton sits at the literal crossroads of Routes 88, 81, and (Highway) 17. If one was stopping in "the Bing" for gas on their way to Scranton, Syracuse or Rochester, it would be easy to think of the town as a place that time has let slip through its fingers. After all, IBM, Dick's Sporting Goods (they sell firewood), and other companies got their start in Binghamton before moving on to towns offering tax breaks. The general consensus is you're either in Bing for life or you're there for the great education at Binghamton University and you're off to greener (or maybe not) pastures. You should note that the town's current and future success rides heavily on the University. A night in Binghamton's bar scene can be easily mistaken for one of Long Island's finest hot spots. Tanning salon and gym membership required.

As I made the drive I noticed something for the first time. After countless trips to the Bing, it was finally sunny outside. My previous trips were always blessed with rain, sleet, and (usually) snow. I was feeling good as I rode my vitamin D high into town.

This time around I was skipping the chance to collect serious Hilton points and instead chose to stay at the Grand Royale Hotel (by Clarion). I chose the Royale mainly for its convenience to my evening events (two blocks) and the local watering hole (across the street). I had no idea what I was in for. Formerly Binghamton's city hall, the building is an integral part of the city's architectural history. I was pressed for time today, but I'll be back with charged batteries and an empty memory card.

Also on the list are....carousels? The next sunny day I'm in the Bing you can bet your lunch money that I'll do my best to track down some of the carousals around town that make it the self-proclaimed Carousel Capitol Of The World. That will be enough for picture WEEK.

No comments:

Post a Comment