Friday, April 17, 2009

Sunglass Hut - raining on the Macy's Day Parade?

Okay, I think this is pretty freaking cool. Advanced apologies for the nerdiness of this post. It happens every now and then. But stories like this that make me continue to love this city. Here goes.

The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is as popular as the turkey dinner or the Detroit Lions getting pummeled on national television. Whether it's the Wednesday night balloon inflating event, the trek down Central Park West, or Santa Claus ushering in the holiday shopping season, millions of Americans make the parade a part of their annual family tradition. These same people have visiting Macy's flagship store in Herald Square at the top of their NYC to-do lists, sandwiched between Canal Street purse shopping and a Broadway show. I don't blame them because after all, it's an intangible part of New York's culture. The Citigroup/Uncle Sam Bailout Day Parade doesn't have the same ring to it.

When asked by a tourist where they can find Macy's, my answer is always the same - the block of 34th and 35th Streets between 7th Ave and Broadway. Until very recently I thought this was true. How wrong I was. Check out this video then find my reaction after the jump.



Seriously, how cool is that?!?! I went today to check it
out and lo and behold, there was the Sunglass Hut in all of its spoiler glory. According to the video, Macy's rents the air space where their bag advertisement rests. I did not know that about Macy's or Siegel, but I certainly feel more NY now that I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment