Sunday, June 28, 2009

A classic theater clings to the glory days.

I admittedly have not spent much time in downtown Buffalo. Typically when I am here for work I find myself under time constraints, leaving me no option but to swing by Anchor or Duff's before racing to catch my return flight. Buffalo has everything a good old fashioned (and nerdy) photo-fest needs. Gray skies, old buildings, and hard times. I'll be back, Buffalo.

Shea's Theater set the stage for today's picture. Per Wiki, the theater was the crown jewel of the once-bustling downtown area of Buffalo; built for $1.9 million it was the sign that Buffalo was a power player in the western New York economy. But we all know how this story ends - times change, industries die, and a city is left behind by the tides of change. Political corruption and ill-advised corporations almost leveled the beautiful space to a parking lot in the 1970's before community activists rescued the iconic space from the wrecking ball.

As the city struggles with economic development, things might be on the upswing. NYC-based families and artists see it as a new Brooklyn. Heck, a 3 bedroom house for $800 a month? Snap! Now if only finding a job was possible...

No comments:

Post a Comment