Saturday, June 6, 2009

A refreshing day in Central Park.

My alarm buzzed earlier than my typical work day this morning, but unlike the typical M-F of life I didn't mind yawning my way to 1st Ave and cabbing it to Central Park. I was helping out with my company's table at the 24th Annual Central Park Challenge, a culmination a year of raising funds and awareness for people with disabilities and their families [official website]. My company has supported the cause for years, but our corporate support took on a personal meaning when an employee's daughter was picked to be the official CUTE face of this year's challenge. Seriously, click on the link; she's precious.

This year featured a 5K race, a 3K walk, a kid's race, face painting (sweet!), tattoos (awesome!) and bands (rock on!) for the thousands of participants. Our table was one tiny portion of the overall day, but it nonetheless reminded me of volunteering for different programs in college; a feeling that is truly contagious. More than $1.4 million was raised for the wonderful cause, but nothing can top the pure joy that was strewn across the face of every kid. Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment