Wednesday, July 15, 2009

2,400 pounds of art.

Today's education lesson is about a piece of art that I walk past every day. In the middle of Astor Place stands a rotating cube. Officially named Alamo by artist Tony Rosenthal, it is commonly referred to as the Cube. The Wiki page provides decent background about the Cube, but there are two points that I'd like to counter:

Many people who move to New York consider turning the Cube to be a ritual signaling that they have "arrived" in the city.

True, if by "arrived" you mean off the plane from Idaho or one's first day of class at NYU.

Sitting or sleeping in the shade of the Cube is also popular.

Seriously? You couldn't pay me to rest my head there. I'd rather not chilax with the Crusties, thank you very much.



All in all it's just another piece of the visually stimulating Astor Place puzzle. Take your best shot at spinning the cube next time you get off the 6 train.

1 comment:

  1. That's funny I though only the dogpark people called them crusties! LOL

    ReplyDelete