Saturday, July 11, 2009

Arts Fest weekend - full of chances.

Welcome to Arts Fest.

Saturday kicked off with sunny skies and plenty to see. By far the busiest day of the festival, the streets were jammed with the usual array of gawkers. Stroller pushing families mixed with the hung over crowd from the night before. Some people were seeking new pieces to hang over their couch, while others followed the scent of greasy carnival food. The aroma of funnel cake was rampant.

After perusing State College's finer things, I met up with my favorite radio host and lead Morning Zoo personality PJ from B94.5 as they were broadcasting from the home of countless family Christmas gifts. I took my chances on PSU football trivia and came away the lucky winner of a Nike sports watch. Boo-ya.

Next up was taking in an Irish folk band that - if you took Nick's word - were the next Jonas Brothers. I was more interested in watching the kids run through the water bucket, try-not-to-get-wet contraption that is an Arts Fest staple. I would have spent hours here as a kid had I grown up in State College. As a 25 year old I still had the urge to try and beat the randomly falling splashes of ice cold pool water. But alas, I am neither age nor speed appropriate, so I chose to take my chances on a more adult game - credit card roulette.

A game best suited for groups larger than one and participants older than 21, the greatest bar game of chance begins with an empty hat. Anyone can play, minding that the entry fee is one credit card. After all entries are collected the server pulls one (eyes closed!) out of the hat. The winner - or is it loser? - has to buy a round of shots for the table. BZ (left) was not pleased to have her card pulled twice. In a row.

Outdoor seating. Good company. Cold beer. Large group. Credit card roulette. Dangerous? Hardly. Awesome? Completely.

The skies darkened as we were leaving after one too many rounds and opened up just in time to drench us along with the thousands of others still moseying around. Saturday of Arts Fest lived up to its reputation.

On a completely unrelated note, the odds of me doing something like this to a future car of mine are quite good. Definitely vehicle of the weekend.



(Click pictures to enlarge.)

No comments:

Post a Comment