Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Go ahead. Pick it up. I dare you.

Shudder.

I wonder how often these are used. I never really pay attention to them because, quite frankly, the nineties are over. But it's amazing to think that this was the way things got done. Commerce, relationships, life - all depended on landlines. How was that possible? No email - no cell phones - no caller ID. No tweeting, Facebook, or (gasp) blogging. No texting - picture messaging - video messaging. People remembered phone numbers, and if you couldn't remember it you wrote it down. Do you know how many phone numbers I know by heart? Seven. And three of them are my own.

It's only a matter of time before pay phones go the way of NYC phone booths. Their crust-covered handsets will not be missed by me. (Seriously - they might be the grossest aspect of the subway system - and that's saying something). Until then they'll be there for change-scouring bums and legit emergencies.

2 comments:

  1. Although insightful, I have to disagree. I honestly believe the most disgusting part of the NY subways are the mysterious drippings.

    Anyone from NY knows exactly what I mean by this. In certain areas of the platform you will find a wet spot. That spot is being made by a drip coming from above. Now let's think logically, the subway is underground, above the subway are layers of pipes and then the street. So when it isn't raining and dripping, it must be from the pipes. What kind of pipes? Sewage pipes maybe, or who knows? Nobody reallllly knows what this is or where it's from.

    Thus, the grossest part of the NY subway are the mysterious drippings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Touche, KW. Those drips are anything but pleasant.

    ReplyDelete