Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Just follow the neon.

I thought August was supposed to be a slow month for work.

Growing up in the woodlands of Jersey not much was open after 8 or 9pm, save the Budd Lake Diner (clearly the post-prom destination of HS'ers everywhere). That's just the way it was and is, nothing wrong with that. I'm looking forward to that again someday.

But in the meantime I'm here eating late night dinners that, if time was rounded, would lend themselves to be more appropriately considered breakfasts. Like a fly to light, I often times follow the neon open signs as I walk home. Need paper towels? Check out the bodega on 1st and 12th. Need dinner? I don't even know where to start. Odessa, 7A, St. Marks Market, hell, street meat from 11th Street. Well, today tonight was one of those nights.

I think it's safe to say that street meat has become my new comfort food. Covered here multiple freakin' times, I apologize if you find my pathetic attempts at culinary reviews a repetitive bore. If you know of something better than street meat - please - enlighten me.

Tonight's balance of meat, starch, and veggies (debatable) came from the 24/7 cart at 11th Street and 1st Avenue. A favorite among cab drivers and drunk NYU'ers alike, these guys have a pretty consistent following. $4.50 and 4 minutes later I was on my way home with a nicely cooked meal. Mmmm gyro.

No comments:

Post a Comment