Friday, August 14, 2009

What doesn't kill you only tastes delicious.

Today's lunch break provided much relief to what has otherwise been a hectic week. What went from time off to, well, working my tail off, the mad dash for mid-day nourishment succumbed to the craving for fast food for convenience purposes. I was craving something from the world of street meat, but I couldn't shake the idea of a filet-of-fish sandwich. Why? I don't know, but my theory is this is my body fighting my recent health kick. Regardless, I soon remembered Midtown Lunch's review of neighborhood fish sandwiches around the Lenten time. Fish from a cart? Do I dare?

I dared. Off to Kim's Aunt cart I trekked. Little to no line greeted me upon my arrival. I quickly ordered the white on white - fried white fish on white bread. Bread options include white, wheat, and hoagie and the meat choices are chicken, shrimp, beef, whitefish and flounder. Incredible.

Five minutes and $3.50 later (flounder is a buck more) and I was on my way back to the office. The walk was the perfect length of time for my sammy to to cool down, because the heavens know I have a serious temperature problem. What I tasted was incredible. Sweet tarter sauce mixed well with the perfectly fried fish; not too dry but cooked well enough. The white bread was a solid choice considering it most resembles the buns normally associated with chain fish sandwiches. I am a new believer in three hard working guys frying fish to order inside a sweltering cart on a sweltering August day.

No comments:

Post a Comment